Mike Woods serves as a Senior Manager of State Government Affairs with Troutman Sanders Strategies. Mr. Woods works with clients on business issues, including property and casualty insurance, tax policy, natural resources, public safety, procurement, economic development, privatization, and public-private partnerships. Since joining the Troutman Sanders Strategies, Mr. Woods has represented a number of national business interests and associations before the Virginia General Assembly and the Executive Branch. He actively monitors legislative and regulatory issues before the Virginia General Assembly and various state regulatory agencies and provides analysis of their impact on our clients’ and their business.
Mr. Woods joined Troutman Sanders Strategies after serving as the Political Director for House Majority Leader, Morgan Griffith. Mr. Woods has successfully managed Republican campaigns for a number of General Assembly members, as well as federal, state, and local officials. He has also served as Deputy Political Director for the Republican Party of Virginia. In addition to campaign work, Woods most recently handled Attorney General Bob McDonnell’s election recount and served as a member of the Attorney General’s Transition Team.
With his extensive experience working with state government and in Virginia politics, Mr. Woods offers our clients a valuable resource in assessing the political landscape in Virginia. Additionally, Mr. Woods utilizes his vast experience for our clients to develop winning strategies for both business development and procurement opportunities.
Representative/ Procurement Experience
- Represented the Virginia Performing Arts Coalition to secure over 20 million dollars of funding for non-profit agencies across the Commonwealth.
- Assisted a municipal electric system to obtain legislation giving cities and towns that operate their own electric systems additional statutory authority to make wholesale purchases of electric power.
- Represented the Humane Society of the United States and enacted some of the toughest animal rights legislation in the country.
- Secured authorizing language in Virginia’s budget for the construction of a privately operated prison on behalf of The GEO Group.
- Served as a consultant for the Northern Virginia Forensics Laboratory PPP Project to build the Northern Virginia Forensics Laboratory in Prince William County, Virginia. Valued at over $60 million.
- Successfully worked to amend the Virginia Land Conservation Incentives Act of 1999 regarding tax incentive policy as it relates to open space and natural resources.
- House Majority Leader, Political/Grassroots Director (2003-2004)
- Iron Ox Consulting, Vice President-Legislative Direction (2003)
- Foundation 2002, Political/Grassroots Director (2002)
- Shuford, Rubin & Gibney, Legislative Coordinator (2002-2003)
- Republican Party of Virginia, Deputy Political Director (1999-2001)
- Southside Field Director, Forbes for Lt. Governor/Congress (2001)
- Wright for Delegate (2001)
- Bush-Cheney Recount Team (2000)
- Southside Field Director, Victory 2000 (Bush, Allen, Goode)
- Statewide Field Director, Hager for Governor (1999-2000)
- Porter for Commonwealth Attorney (1999-2007)