Lindsay Austin is a Principal in the Washington, D.C. office of Troutman Sanders Strategies. She joined the firm in 2011.
Lindsay brings to the firm nearly 15 years of congressional and legislative experience coupled with her work as a Washington government relations representative to corporations, industry associations, non-profits, and universities. Lindsay works with clients across numerous sectors, with an emphasis on healthcare, health information technology, public health, food safety, agriculture, education, and a variety of other policy areas. Combining her political and policy know-how with her Washington and Georgia network, Lindsay excels at developing and executing strategy for clients at the federal level.
Prior to joining the firm, Lindsay was the Director of Health Affairs at American Defense International, where she managed a large client portfolio and advised on federal healthcare program opportunities and legislative issues impacting clients. Lindsay also worked on Capitol Hill for six years for U.S. Representative Lynn Westmoreland (GA-03). As a congressional staffer, she maintained a diverse portfolio of policy issues, including healthcare, agriculture, energy, education, environment, natural resources, and small business.
Since arriving in D.C. in 2004, Lindsay has worked closely with both Republican and Democrat congressional offices, House and Senate committees, and various government agencies throughout the federal government and the State of Georgia. She’s formed strong working relationships with a multitude of trade associations, business leaders, coalitions, and organizations. Through these connections and affiliations, Lindsay has built an extensive network as well as maintained a robust knowledge of the complicated legislative and political process that guides federal policymaking.
Currently, Lindsay represents clients in Washington, providing a wide range of tailored services including:
• Advocacy and Federal Representation – Develops a comprehensive and unique strategy to achieve her clients’ federal policy objectives; activities include legislative strategy development, policy analysis and development, message development, navigating committees, and relationship building.
• Coalition Building – Builds key partnerships for clients to build broader support for government relations objectives.
• Reputation Management – Advises clients on building their “federal brand” as well as relationship building with the federal government; assists clients through the process of policymaking while protecting political positioning and their industry reputation.
• Federal Funding & Appropriations – Works closely with appropriators and the Administration to develop support for clients’ projects or programs of merit; activities includes grant support, research and development funding, and federal loan guarantees, among others.
• Federal B-to-G Opportunities – Works with clients to maximize sales of goods and services to the federal government.
• Political Intelligence – Builds strategy for clients based on the ever-changing political field in DC and nationally; supports client business development decisions by tracking and advising on politics and campaigns; provides inside information, policy development, and analysis of political trends that may impact a company or organization.
• Fundraising and PAC (Political Action Committee) – Advises clients on PAC contributions and political landscape; develops strategy for managing client PACs in DC and locally.
• Communications, Event Planning & Media Strategy – Advises clients on media and communications opportunities in Washington, as well as event coordination.
A Georgia native, Lindsay has volunteered and advised on several Georgia congressional races and has been an active board member of the Georgia State Society over the course of her career. Lindsay received her B.A in Advertising from the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism. She and her husband are both avid Dawg fans and currently enjoy living in the heart of Capitol Hill.